Our Search Techs are required to assist our Canine Teams when deployed on Land Searches for persons missing. They are responsible for:
- Ensuring the safety and welfare of the teams
- Ensuring that the search area allocated is searched by the team
- Maintaining radio communication with our search command
- Assisting the team with search strategy utilising scent theory
- Protecting and preserving incident and potential crime scenes
- Urban Search and Rescue Cat 1 (USAR)
- Assisting with the training of our canines as victims and learning everything a canine handler will learn
- Providing 1st Aid to either the casualty or team
- As well as many other aspects related to locating missing persons both live and deceased
Because of what we do, we will test you to ensure that you are not concerned about confined spaces or dogs barking at you because they’ve found you and want their reward.
We at SDS are volunteers that operate 24hrs, 365 days so availability is required once trained. Saturday’s are our primary training days and it is an expectation that you will be able to attend most these days. As well as other days as requested by the team for community events or fundraising.
If you are interested in becoming a member of SDS please complete our Expression of Interest form.
|Passing a stokes litter over an obstacle|